About Mrs. Munoz

Hello new friends and old friends!  I’m proud to say this is my 11th year at Duniway.  I taught kindergarten for three years and now I’m teaching first grade for the eighth year in a row!  My “vibe” as a teacher is this (I hope): high expectations in a highly supportive environment.  To make that happen, I’ll be working collaboratively and communicating often with the team here at Duniway and with you as parents.  Let’s do this!

I grew up in rural central Indiana (Marion) and attended Eastbrook Community Schools (Class of 2000).  I vividly remember being a first grader who was so excited to learn, yet almost always very nervous about coming to school.  The empathy I have for kids who experience persistent worry and anxiety is such a big part of who I am as a teacher.  After finishing an undergraduate degree in marketing from Anderson University, I began my first career in search-engine advertising and sales in Indianapolis.  Around that time I also became an after-school tutor with School on Wheels, an organization that serves kids and families experiencing homelessness.  I started wishing that I had the right skills and knowledge to help those amazing kids more effectively.  After my now-husband took a job here in Portland, I took the plunge and enrolled in Lewis and Clark College’s Early Childhood/Elementary Master’s in Teaching program.  Mr. Munoz and I are now living happily-ever-after in Beaverton with our four hairless guinea pigs!

I feel so fortunate that my daily work fills me with such energy and joy!  I’m also humbled and honored to be such an influential person in your child’s life.  I truly belong in an elementary school and I want my students to know and feel that they belong together with me in Room 6 here at Duniway.

Debbie Porterfield Munoz